We usually read these words on cigarettes packets. But do you ever take a pause while reading these two words? No, you don’t. You are confident enough that One cigarette never kills and I’m having just one.
How To Quit Smoking during Pregnancy
Research has shown that woman have done smoking during pregnancy can increase the risk of mental disorders, low birth weight and cognitive abnormalities in their babies.
So, what are you thinking? Opt to Quit Smoking during Pregnancy. In this part of A to Z Guide to pregnancy, we will learn about Smoking during Pregnancy.
The best gift You can give your baby is by quitting SMOKING During Pregnancy
Smoking during pregnancy is one of those drugs sources that prove to be fatal. Every cigarette contains over 4,000 chemicals.
Some of these chemicals like nicotine readily crosses the placenta, that can lead to neurodevelopment disorders. Smoking restricts the oxygen supply to the fetus, hence your baby’s heart rate increases.
It’s difficult to quit smoking, but for the sake of your baby’s health, it’s never late to quit.
What are the effects of Smoking during Pregnancy on my baby?
- Increased miscarriage rate
- IUGR ( Intra Uterine Growth Retardation ) like low birth weight.
- The increase in Still Birth and Perinatal mortality.
- Premature birth rate increases.
- mental disorders like schizophrenia
- Congenital anomalies.
- cognitive disorders.
- respiratory disorders like asthma.
Research has shown that 5% of fetal weight decreases per pack cigarette consumption per day.
How to Quit Smoking During Pregnancy?
Despite increased public awareness of the dangers of smoking on cigarettes package, smoking still persists and even increases. It’s observed that women have more difficulty quitting smoking compared to men.
Tips to quit smoking during pregnancy
1. Cold Turkey Method: Quit smoking all of a sudden, it’s a tough but successful method.
2. Gradually stopping: Decrease the number of cigarettes consumed in a pattern.
3. Eat Mouth fresheners: Eating chewing gums or other fresheners can keep your mouth busy and helps you quit smoking.
4. Indulge in the hobby: Look for a new hobby like reading books, painting or go for meditation, help you quit smoking.
5. The nicotine patch – It’s one of the methods to quit smoking. My advice? Skip this method and quit smoking naturally, as it has side effects.
The hazard of smoking during pregnancy on both mother and fetus should be clearly explained and motivation to quit smoking.
Do meditation, Stay active. Use mouth fresheners when you feel the urge to smoke. Read the book, start the new hobby. Be strong and determined and Trust yourself that you can do it.
Benefits of quitting smoking during pregnancy
The sooner you quit smoking the better it is. Quitting smoking reduces the chances of complications associated with pregnancy as we discussed above.
- D.C Dutta textbook of obstetrics.
Disclosure: The views expressed in the blog content are independent and unbiased views of solely the blogger.
DISCLAIMER: The content in this post is purely meant for educational purpose only and not to be substituted for professional medical advice. One should consult the expert for any related information.