Saffron Phirni Recipe ( Creamy rice based dessert from north India )
Saffron Phirni is creamy milk based dessert popular in North Indian cuisine. The method of preparation of Saffron Phirni is though easy but it is believe that the more slowly it cooks the more delicious it taste . And this makes the dish burst of flavours & aromatic. Phirni recipe can be prepared with various common and exotic ingredients. The dish can easily be prepared in advance and served as and when required.
Being a milk based dish, Phirni is quite Nutritious & healthful. Use of Rice & Nuts adds to the nutritional value of the dish. As they are full of vitamins, proteins and minerals. The only thing that we can do is to use the sugar in balance ratio. It is a sweet dish, hence not recommended for obese and diabetic patients.
Soaking time: 60 minutes
Preparation Time: 30-40 mins
Cooking Time: 1-2 hrs
Makes 6 servings
1 ltr Milk
100gms long grained rice (basmati)
A generous pinch of Saffron (kesar)
250 gms khoya (mawa)
500 gms Sugar (its quantity vary according to your taste)
1/2 tsp Green cardamom (elaichi) powder
10-15 Pistachios & Almonds — blanched,peeled & sliced
1.Combine the rice along with enough water in a bowl and soak for 1 hour.
2.Drain all the excess water and hang in muslin cloth in sun until it is dry .
Then blend it in a mixer to a coarse paste. Keep aside.
3.Boil the milk in a broad bottom non-stick pan, add Add the rice paste dissolved
in a little water or cold milk ,mix gently & stir it continuously( to avoid lumps)
4. Cook on a slow flame till rice is completely cooked, while stirring continuously
and scraping the sides of the pan.
tip- The more slowly it cooks , the more it becomes delicious 🙂
5. Add saffron dissolved in small amount of cold milk and mix gently
6. Add the sugar and cardamom powder, mix well and and cook till sugar is completely dissolved,
while stirring continuously and scraping the sides of the pan.
7. Add the Khoya(mawa) &Pistachios & Almonds & mix well , simmer it for 5 to 7 minutes
8. Pour into earthenware or china bowls and garnish with pistachios.
9. Keep aside to cool slightly and refrigerate for atleast 1 hour & Serve chilled.
10. Do try the Saffron Phirni Recipe by this method & love to read your reviews 🙂