Three years ago someone did 30k worth shopping from my uncle’s credit card. He came to know about it when the Bank asked for the payment. This is a very common scam nowadays And with advanced technology, the scammers have now become even more organized. The Question is How Aware Are You Of Cyber Security? and How you deal with it?
What is Cyber Security?
Cyber Security is basically protective shield for your online or offline data like bank account information. Cyber Security prevents you from falling into scammer trap.
How do scammers trap you?
A scammer calls/texts you that some information is missing for your bank account or you need to update your information, or you could win a lottery, or some suspicious activity has been detected on your account. He then adds that he will send some text or code to verify your identity and you have to revert back. And when you send him the code, he can easily breakthrough your online account or ATM password. And you are then literally finished with your money. As per RBI, 12k cases related to ATM, credit and debit cards as well as Net banking frauds were reported by banks in 2015-16. Apart from this around 49k cybersecurity incidents have been noted by the CERTAIN-In in 2015.
Things to keep in mind:
- Bank or its employees never call, email, text to ask for ATM or online pin.
- When you get any fraud calls, just confirm with your bank before taking any decision.
Here are 5 things you can do this month to help protect yourself and others:
- Brush up on common scams and warning signs and don’t reply to any scams call, email or text.
- Keep personal information confidential. Don’t write your password anywhere. Instead, memorize it. Don’t give your cards to any outsider while billing etc.
- Change your passwords and PINs regularly
- While online shopping uses the personal and secure internet. Don’t use Public or free Wi-Fi.
- Register your mobile number for alerts. Do an inquiry into every transaction made.