What do you think “Envy” is?
Envy is defined as, “A feeling of discontented or resentful longing aroused by someone else’s possessions, qualities, or luck.”
If someone doing better than you, getting opportunities that you wish for. You think you are falling behind. You feel sad, depressed, irritated, bitter and your mind can’t accept it.
How to check on your ENVY?
- A friend becomes Topper of the college. And you think, “She’s doing so well. Where am I?” Suddenly it clicks in your mind that the person is horrible And you feel better the next moment.
- Your colleague gets a promotion that you were wishing for. You feel upset, angry and praying for him to fail.
- At a party, you found someone as the center of attraction. You feel disheartened and then you think, “I’ll bet they’re superficial & show=off.”
If you come across the above-given situation then you are like the rest of the human. You are prone to envy.
What Envy can do?
Envy can either make you feel depressed or Angry. When someone in your circle is successful, Then either you feel down, lost in your life. You take their success personally and it reflects from your behavior.
Envy can make you angry in another way. You become bitter in your thinking. You want the person to fall down. You might criticize them from personal to the professional level.
What’s the difference between Envy and Jealousy?
Envy is different from jealousy. In Jealousy your personal relationship is in danger: “She’s flirting with him.” In Envy, Your status is in danger ‘He’s more successful than I am. That makes me feel like a loser.” Yes, you can envy someone about whom you are jealous. “She has the qualities I wish I had. That’s why my partner is attracted to her.”
How to deal with Your Envy?
You always wonder how to cope up with your Envy. Here discussing some points about how you get control over your envy & turn it into a success.
- Be Optimistic & motivate yourself to change your perspective towards anything happened in your circle. Take it in an optimistic way, motivate yourself that you can do better than this
- Don’t get affected by other’s success. What if someone wins or lose? You are not getting or losing anything. Then why this is bothering you.
- Stop comparing yourself with others. What did you get if you criticize someone’s success or thinking that you are standing far behind? This gesture will pull down your confidence level. Instead, compare yourself to yourself only. Try to do something better the next time.
- Scrub out the negative thoughts that boost up your envy. When do you hear about someone’s success? “I must be a loser as they are doing so well” or “It’s unjust—they don’t deserve it”. How could you be a loser because of someone else success? Try to be resilient, be optimistic & play a fair game.
Get control over your envy under may help you gain success as your mind get free from any negative thoughts that bring – depression, bitterness, anger, restlessness & humiliation.