This is my all time favourite dish. Spicy Choley Recipe can be eaten in breakfast as well as in lunch or dinner. This is a chickpea curry served with deep fried flour pooris or boiled rice.
In an age of overindulgence, this silky smooth onion and tomato gravy with chickpeas nestling in it is a perennial favourite. So much so that it regularly makes an appearance at my festive meals like Diwali, dinner parties and the odd weekday dinner in front of the TV.
There are many ways to cook it but my recipe hasn’t changed since my student days. In truth, there is no need to complicate this recipe with gazillion ingredients.Use your fine motor skills to chop onion, ginger and garlic finely away. You won’t be complaining when you tuck these babies into hot buttered rotis
Here is a simple step by step recipe that will definitely activates your taste buds.
- 1. Chick Peas 250 gms
- 2. Ghee 50 gms
- 3. Tea Leaves 50 gms
- 4. Chopped Onions 100 gms
- 5. Chopped Tomatoes 100 gms
- 6 Chopped Ginger 20 gms
- 7. Slit Green Chillies 10 gms
- 8 Cumin Powder 10 gms
- 9 Corriander Powder 10 gms
- 10 Amchur Powder 10 gms
- 11 Red Chilli Powder 10 gms
- 12 Garam Masala 10 gms
- 13 Corriander – Freshly Chopped 20 gms
- 14 Saunf Powder 10 gms
- 15 Chaat Masala 20 gms
- 16 Salt To Taste
- 17 Kasturi Methi 10 gms
Preparation Method :
- Boiled the overnight soaked Chickpeas with tea bags. Strain the chickpeas & reserve the stock.
2. In a pot add chickpeas , Green chilli ,Ginger , Onion ,Tomato,Green Coriander,Raw mango powder(Amchur) ,Fennel Powder , Coriander powder,Red Chilli powder, Garam Masala Powder ,Chana Masala , Roasted cumin powder , Finally add Black Salt & mix well the whole mixture.
3. In another pan heat Ghee ( Tip : till it become boiling hot or smoky) & Once boiled add this Ghee to the chickpeas mixture along with a bit of water & stir well .Cover the lid & allowed to cook on low flame for 10-15minutes.
4. Add kasuri methi and SPICY CHOLEY RECIPE are ready to serve.