Indoor air quality plays a vital role in our health. We assume that we live at Home and are safe from the outer polluted environment, we are totally wrong. The level of indoor air pollution is more Than outdoor air. It’s observed that VOC levels are consistently higher in indoor than outdoor.
According to WHO, 4.3 million people die from Indoor Pollution in a year.
Women, Senior citizens, and Young children are more exposed to Indoor Pollution
What is the Main Cause of Indoor air pollution?
The main cause of Indoor air pollution is Total Volatile Organic Chemicals (VOC). These are a group of chemicals that are usually present in many Home building product like:
- Building Materials like Paints, Coatings, Varnishes, Adhesives, Wood products, Tiles, furnishings material etc.
- Home Care Products like Cleaning products, Air fresheners, Fuel oil etc.
- Machinery like Dry cleaning, photocopy machine etc.
How VOC present in Paints cause Indoor air pollution?
Basic science is that the paint consists of three material- a carrier, Binder, and Pigment. The moment you get your house done with paints, the binders and pigment remain and carrier evaporates. This carrier is Total Volatile Organic Chemicals (VOC). Hence we get exposure to toxins that can be proved to be fatal. This VOC level is 1000 times higher in comparison to outdoor. And your Painted wall will emit VOC continuously even 6 months after application.
What are Health effects of VOC exposure?
Emission of VOC can cause many serious ailments and diseases like:
Short-Term Exposures can cause
- Eye, Nose & throat irritation
- Respiratory Distress
Long-Term Exposures can cause
- Urinary and Central Nervous System damage
What are the solutions to ensure clean air inside your home?
I know these facts are going to shackle you. You must be pity upon your self and your family and your house that you design with so much love. This is the same feeling I’m going through when I got to know about the Hazards effects of Paints.
To reduce exposure to these toxins one Remove or reduce the number of products that contain VOCs. So, I’m in search of Paints that contain less or no toxins. Luckily I’ve come across an ad on my TV whose one line draws my interest.
To Breathe Clean Air At Home, Start With Your Paint
This Ad is for Asian Paints in which Deepika is wearing mouth mask everywhere she goes. My little one asked me what was that? Why she’s wearing? I’ve no answer to reply. That I’m onto search on what is Royale Atmos and why Deepika is wearing a mouth mask.
Royale Atmos is a paint from Asian Paints that reduce harmful air pollutants and makes the air cleaner. Apart from this its absorb the foul odor and make the air fresh. Asian Paints launches a paint that is healthy of its kind and reduces Indoor Air Pollution. It not only looks good but also helps purify air and improve the air quality inside your home.
- Reduces indoor air pollutant
- Activated carbon technology
- Absorbs malodours
- Releases fragrance
- Green assure
Apart from Getting your home paint with Royale Atmos some other measures that you can follow are:
- Improve Ventilation: Increase the ventilation of your house by opening doors and windows that allow more and more fresh air inside Home. This will let the VOC’s evaporate at a fast pace.
- Maintain the Temperature and Humidity at low levels
- Avoid Synthetic Fragrances and Laundry Products: VOC’s are present in maximum quantity. It’s recommended to use natural fragrances.
- Add more Greens to Indoor: Keeping Plants inside your Home helps in purifying the air. They will filte the Indoor air naturally.
Hope You have now got clear idea about Indoor Air Pollution and you’ll not take it easy. And wish my suggestive measures help you in tackling it. Don’t forget to tell me about what you think about Indoor Air Pollution and what measures you are taking?
Stay Happy, Stay Healthy.
This post is written for Indiblogger campaign with Asian paints.#CleanAirBeautifulHomes
Picture courtesy: Pixabay